- Theory of Music (Step, Grades 1-8 and 3 levels of diploma)
- Popular Music Theory (Preliminary and Grades 1-8)
We offer Theory exams in two formats:
Where can I take a written theory exam?
In-person theory exams are held in exam centres around the world:
UK & Ireland: Theory exams are available at selected public theory exam centres - please note: not all theory centres participate in every theory session, please check with the representative of your chosen centre for information on specific sessions. Please contact the LCME office if you wish to hold Theory exams at your own venue.
Overseas: please contact the LCME office.
When can I sit a theory exam?
Theory exam dates are set by the LCME office and are the same in every country and in both formats (online and in-person).
Exams are held in June and November.
Both Theory syllabuses are available in both formats (online and in-person) in the Summer and Winter sessions only.
Theory Diplomas are only available in the summer session.
Theory Exam Dates
Online and in-person theory dates are the same.
- Summer 2022 - 10am Saturday 11 June (closing date 15 April)
- Winter 2022 - 10am Saturday 26 November (closing date 08 October)
- Summer 2023 - 10am Saturday 17 June (closing date 15 April)
- Winter 2023 - 10am Saturday 25 November (closing date 08 October)
- Summer 2024 - 10am Saturday 15 June (closing date 15 April)
- Winter 2024 - 10am Saturday 30 November (closing date 08 October)
- Summer 2025 - 10am Saturday 14 June (closing date 15 April)
- Winter 2025 - 10am Saturday 29 November (closing date 08 October)
How can I enter for a theory exam?
Please enter online for all theory exams, please do not use the paper entry form from the back of the handbooks.
Summer session booking is available from 01 March and closes 15 April
Winter session booking is available from 01 September and closes 08 October