Theory of Music
There are eight LCM Music Theory grades, plus one introductory level and three diplomas.
Our Music Theory exams are key to the knowledge required, not only for the understanding and performance of the pieces in practical exams, but also for the technical work, discussion and aural test elements.
- Step and Grades 1-8 are offered in all sessions
- Theory Diplomas are only offered in the Summer
For information on how to enter and when and where you can sit a theory exam click here
- Buy LCM Music Theory Handbook
- Download a digital Music Theory Handbook
- Download past papers (grades)
- Download past papers (diplomas)
- Further information: DipMusLCM
- Further information: AMusLCM and LMusLCM
- LMus Paper 1 - Summer 2022 - DOWNLOAD
Please note that, due to the disruption of summer theory sessions in 2020 because of COVID-19, the 2019-2020 syllabus has been extended and works set for 2020 will be valid for the 2021 summer session. For the LMusLCM, an additional set work, Walton's Symphony No.1, is also offered. Please see the revised syllabus here.
Syllabus for 2022-2023
The LCME Theory of Music Syllabus 2022-2023 can be viewed here. This contains the new diploma set works which will be valid from Summer 2022 to Winter 2023.
What's in the exam
- Step: 1.5 hours
- Grade 1: 1.5 hours
- Grades 2-4: 2 hours
- Grades 5-8: 3 hours
- Paper 1: completed in advance
- Paper 2: 3 hours