- Theory of Music (Step, Grades 1-8 and 3 levels of diploma)
- Popular Music Theory (Preliminary and Grades 1-8)
We offer Theory exams in two formats:
Where can I take a written theory exam?
Written theory exams are held in exam centres around the world:
UK & Ireland: Theory exams are available at selected Public Centres (please contact the LCME office if you wish to hold Theory exams at your own venue).
Overseas: please contact the LCME office.
When can I sit a theory exam?
Theory exam dates are set by the LCME office and are the same in every country.
Exams are usually held in June and November.
Both Theory syllabuses are available in both formats (online and written) in the Summer and Winter sessions only.
Theory Diplomas are only available in the summer session.
Theory Exam Dates
Online and in-person theory dates are the same.
- Summer 2021 - 10am Saturday 12 June (closing date 15 April)
- Winter 2021 - 10am Saturday 27 November (closing date 08 October)
- Summer 2022 - 10am Saturday 11 June (closing date 15 April)
- Winter 2022 - 10am Saturday 26 November (closing date 08 October)
How can I enter for a theory exam?
Please enter online for all theory exams, please do not use the paper entry form from the back of the handbooks.
Summer session booking is available from 01 March and closes 15 April
Winter session booking is available from 01 September and closes 08 October