LCME offer two theory syllabuses:
- Theory of Music (Step, Grades 1-8 and 3 levels of diploma)
- Popular Music Theory (Preliminary and Grades 1-8)
Where can I take a theory exam?
In the UK & Ireland Theory exams can only be taken at selected Public Centres, alternatively please contact the LCME office if you wish to hold Theory exams at your private exam centre. For candidates overseas, please contact the LCME office.
When can I sit a theory exam?
Theory of Music exams: Step and Grades 1-8 available in all sessions, diplomas are only available in the summer session.
Popoular Music Theory exams: available in the summer and winter sessions.
The practical exam closing dates also apply to theory exams.
- Winter 2017 - Saturday 25 November, 10am
- Spring 2018 - Wednesday 21 March, 2pm
- Summer 2018 - Saturday 16 June, 10am (Steps, Grades and Diploma paper 1) & 2pm (Diploma paper 2)
- Winter 2018 - Saturday 24 November 2018, 10am
How can I enter for a theory exam?
Please enter online for all theory exams, please do not use the paper entry form from the back of the handbooks.